I recently found that a good friend of mine had two tattoos. I ask her about them and we start talking , she says ” Tattoos aren’t for you, I’m guessing?”
I just never thought about getting a tattoo. So I started asking friends why a tattoo appeals to them.
So here’s a compendium of answers I’ve gotten:
- The sense of design and aesthetic value on your own body
- Beauty. I think this slightly different than design/aesthetic. The appreciation of an elegantly designed website vs that of a painting.
- A expression of some value you believe in; this may be religious, conceptual, or moral.
- A commemoration of important events in your life.
- Cool factor
- It can make a guy look tougher (maybe make girls look tougher as well)
- Significance and attachment with a friend or loved one. This can range from some personal with a friend to a significant other. Though I don’t know anybody who has actually gotten a tattoo for a significant other.
- For the lolz. Story: My friend got a little mustache tattoo on her finger for the amusement factor and the potential downsides being slim (not easily visible, cheaper, more reflective of her personality)
- Issues with self-image about your own body
- Worry about their expensiveness of both acquiring and removing them
- How they would look in the future on aged skin
- Worries about how people would treat them differently if they had a openly visible tattoo
- Lack of confidence in liking something that they would want permanently on their body
- Complete disinterest in it or lack of interest in it (that’s me!).